Plane of Terria

Dungeons and Dragons 5e Play by Post
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 The Lay of the Land [D1, Morning, Open]

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Alexander "Gormadin" Fare

avatar

Posts : 63
Join date : 2017-08-22

PostSubject: The Lay of the Land [D1, Morning, Open]   Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:40 am

Alexander walked confidently into the marketplace, wearing one of his old guises. Affecting a slight stoop and wearing padding under his clothes, with a little too much facial hair, this would be an ideal face to throw away at the end of the day. Nothing fancy, but enough for him to gather some information and get the lay of the land. Moving with the flow of the crowd, 'Harry Thornal'; the name he decided he would use today, looked around at the merchants setting up their stalls. He knew the Artisan Guild had a heavy presence here, but he also knew he did not want to get involved with them unless he had to. The idea of associating himself at this time made him itch. But all the other traders, did they need a license of some kind?

'Harry' wandered closer to some stalls to make small talk, pleasantries, commoner talk. 'Ello', 'Nice weather for it', 'How's business?'. Even after all these years, he still found it difficult play this role. Shaking off his nostalgia, he looked around the stalls for signs of membership or licenses. Did people have established locations or were people taking a first come first serve approach for their stalls?

There had to be some good locations to set up shop himself, even if it was just a quiet corner to advertise his services from. An adjacent alley was a must. If all went according to plan, and then suddenly didn't one day, a means of escape was a must. On second thoughts, a means of escape should be his primary concern! He had almost forgotten he was still potentially a fugitive, it would not do to have waited so long to make a simple mistake now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Giorg

avatar

Posts : 101
Join date : 2017-08-07

PostSubject: Re: The Lay of the Land [D1, Morning, Open]   Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:44 pm

The dwarf bard wanders into the marketplace as well. It was still early in the day, and he wanted to see what was available. He wasn't really buying anything, but he found it was always good to know what could be acquired for a reasonable price.

He hums a merry tune to himself as he walks around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alexander "Gormadin" Fare

avatar

Posts : 63
Join date : 2017-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The Lay of the Land [D1, Morning, Open]   Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:11 am

Alex spotted the dwarf making his way through the market. Scratching lightly at his glued on facial hair to check it was all where it was supposed to be, and roughing his hand through his coloured hair, he took a deep breath and checked his mannerisms. Stoop, slight waddle, open hands, lopsided smile. Tugging at his rough travelling clothes, he began his approach.

As Alex moved closer, he idly wondered as to his choice of target. Dwarves were not usually his first choice for conversation but something drew him to this man. The sound of a faint tune made its way across the bustle of the market, and the reason he had marked this man clarified itself.

He had seen this man before on his travels, a bard of passing skill who uniquely played his stomach as a drum. Although he had seen him but twice before, he could not recall what guise he had worn, if any. Alex found himself fortunate that they had never spoken before this occasion, and it was unlikely that he had paid him any attention before now.

Quickly choosing an accent from a nearby village, he shifted into a meek attitude and moved to intercept the dwarf.

"Hey there, ahem, good morning isn't it? Erm. So. I was hoping you could help me. You seem to be comfortable around here, and I'm new in town and not sure how this whole area works. You see, I am considering selling my wares here in Larendar and am not sure if I need some kind of license?"

Bards were quite friendly people on the whole, it was a shame Alex was not speaking as himself. This man no doubt knew many people and could potentially have pointed work his way. No matter, there will no doubt be other opportunities.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Giorg

avatar

Posts : 101
Join date : 2017-08-07

PostSubject: Re: The Lay of the Land [D1, Morning, Open]   Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:51 pm

"Truth be told, I'm new to the city myself. Not sure where to start lookin' for work," Giorg admits. "But someone here must know, aye?"

He does not seem to know who this person is, and the dwarf isn't the suspicious sort. Then again, he was a bard. No doubt he'd seen plenty of faces in his time, and at some point some of them blur together if he didn't speak to them personally.

"Where ye from, friend?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alexander "Gormadin" Fare

avatar

Posts : 63
Join date : 2017-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The Lay of the Land [D1, Morning, Open]   Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:08 am

Alex smiles and gestures in a north easterly direction of the village he had chosen for his dialect; he was not sloppy when it came to backstories, even for a one off disguise.

"I come from Sharpwater, a place a little east of Blackhaven. I recognised your face from somewhere, so I thought you might be from around here?"

Alex let the nervous facade slide away and carefully assessed the dwarf. He seemed at ease, which was good, it helped keep things simple.

"You mentioned you are lookin' for work? Might I enquire as to what your trade is?"

A Bard looking for work? Inns were a dime a dozen in Larendar, surely someone in his line of work who couldn't sniff out an establishment in the Capital wasn't long for that career. His curiosity was piqued at the situation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Giorg

avatar

Posts : 101
Join date : 2017-08-07

PostSubject: Re: The Lay of the Land [D1, Morning, Open]   Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:36 am

The dwarf nods. "Sharpwater, eh? Can't say I've been there, but I do plan to head east after I move on from the capital."

"Aye. I wouldn't be opposed to playing music in a tavern or inn. Though the last one I looked into had a musician already," he says. "The one before that was lookin' for somethin' more permanent, and I don'think I'll be here that long."

"If'n I have no'ther choice, I may settle for mercenary work." Giorg smiles, but something about his demeanor suggests it's not an ideal option for him. "I know one end of a spear from the other, as they say back home."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alexander "Gormadin" Fare

avatar

Posts : 63
Join date : 2017-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The Lay of the Land [D1, Morning, Open]   Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:14 am

"You are looking to move on from the Capital? Surely there is no better place to be, and an offer of coin in your purse regular like? Why'd you pass up on that?" Alexander didn't see the merit in being a musician.

Even those found in court lived a lifestyle which he barely considered elevated from that of the common folk, unless of course you gained patronage of a wealthy lord. But travelling around for the sake of it? Passing up the offer of coin in your pocket in exchange for potentially dying in a ditch from a bandits blade, or expiring from starvation, now that was something which did genuinely interest him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Giorg

avatar

Posts : 101
Join date : 2017-08-07

PostSubject: Re: The Lay of the Land [D1, Morning, Open]   Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:25 pm

"Travel. See the world. Then come back home and tell stories of what I've seen, what I've run into," he answers. Home, it would seem, is more important than more wealth than he'd know what to do with. "Or what I had to stick with a spear."

"The world is vast and full of wonders. 'tis a shame most folk never bother to see most of it."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alexander "Gormadin" Fare

avatar

Posts : 63
Join date : 2017-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The Lay of the Land [D1, Morning, Open]   Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:56 pm

Wanderlust. He had heard of such a thing. Alexander decided it was not for him though. After so many years on the road, the last thing he wanted to do was set out again.

"Hmm true, there are wonders to be sure. But there are a multitude of horrors to match them too. I hope you are happy with your abilities with that spear if those horrors start to outweigh the beings surely Hades himself must have sent forth from the underworld. I have heard stories of the things out there, and must confess I find myself happier within the protection of the city walls."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Giorg

avatar

Posts : 101
Join date : 2017-08-07

PostSubject: Re: The Lay of the Land [D1, Morning, Open]   Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:59 pm

"Aye, ther're things out there no one should have to see. But no worse than what lurks in the alleys in cities no one likes to wander into at night," he answers. "Besides, how would one understand the wonders if there's no nightmare to provide a contrast?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alexander "Gormadin" Fare

avatar

Posts : 63
Join date : 2017-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The Lay of the Land [D1, Morning, Open]   Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:55 am

Alex stood staring blankly for a moment. There was some logic to what he was saying. But he mentally shook his head. No. He had been on the road for a long time, and he had seen nothing wondrous that could match the horrors. A city had its own darker side, but as long as you knew where to avoid, anybody could live their life without ever seeing it. He supposed there was some merit in seeing the wonders of the world, but there was also merit in wishing to live a long life. As far as Alexander was concerned the two were basically mutually exclusive.

Alex used his tongue to tease out an imaginary bit of food from his teeth as he considered a moment before he replied, "I can understand what your saying, but in comparison I would not eat the muck that falls from a horses arse, just so my own dinner that evening tasted better. I would simply enjoy it for what it was and then not give a thought to the dung, but enjoy it anyway!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Giorg

avatar

Posts : 101
Join date : 2017-08-07

PostSubject: Re: The Lay of the Land [D1, Morning, Open]   Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:38 pm

"Aye, I can see that point." He chuckles.

Giorg does, in fact, have an idea where this strange man is coming from. Not too long ago, he would have thought the same thing. Things have changed, though. In some ways, the dwarf himself has changed.

"I admit to missing the comforts of home, but the time isn't right yet for me to go back."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alexander "Gormadin" Fare

avatar

Posts : 63
Join date : 2017-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The Lay of the Land [D1, Morning, Open]   Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:05 am

Alex nodded. There was much he had yet to do this day he thought, and although this conversation had been a pleasant distraction, it was time he was about his business. If this dwarf indeed did not know about the workings of this market, and he wished to make business with this man another time, it would be best to keep this encounter brief as to minimise the chances of being recognised at a later date.

"Aye, that sentiment at least I can agree with. But I'm afraid friend that I have business to be about, as I am no doubt sure that you do too, so I shan't keep you. But it has been well met!" He extended his hand out "May Hecate protect you on your journeys." he said with a smile.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Giorg

avatar

Posts : 101
Join date : 2017-08-07

PostSubject: Re: The Lay of the Land [D1, Morning, Open]   Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:30 pm

"And you, friend."

He nods and takes the offered hand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alexander "Gormadin" Fare

avatar

Posts : 63
Join date : 2017-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The Lay of the Land [D1, Morning, Open]   Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:00 am

"Might I suggest the Rosemaker's Pub for work? Even if you do not get a chance to perform, I hear there are lots of travellers there, should you be looking for company on the road." said Alex.

He withdrew his hand, then offered a small wave in farewell.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Giorg

avatar

Posts : 101
Join date : 2017-08-07

PostSubject: Re: The Lay of the Land [D1, Morning, Open]   Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:04 am

"I'll keep an eye out."

He returns the wave and goes on his way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alexander "Gormadin" Fare

avatar

Posts : 63
Join date : 2017-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The Lay of the Land [D1, Morning, Open]   Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:55 am

Not wishing to spend all day at the market, Alex decided to take a more direct approach.

He walked up to a stall selling animal pelts. He made a show of considering different skins. The rabbit hides were of fair quality, he did not need any but he appreciated the quality none the less. After a few minutes of posed consideration, Alex let out a sigh.

To the woman behind the stall he said, "These pelts are of a very good quality. Its a shame they aren't quite what I am looking for. If you don't mind me asking, what sort of cut does the Artisan guild take from your sales? I should imagine you do well for yourself with stock such as this." flashing her an endearing smile.

He figured he might as well ask an ignorant question. Whether she chose to answer the question or not, her response would hopefully give a bit of an indication as to how it all worked around here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: The Lay of the Land [D1, Morning, Open]   

Back to top Go down
 
The Lay of the Land [D1, Morning, Open]
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» To Pour Salt Into An Open Wound...
» Good Morning Sunshines (It's not REALLY morning, that's just meh sayin' xD)
» The Shivering Isles (Open To All!)
» Enemies Brought Together As One(Open, Pick N Play)
» Yoruyounaka Kaizokudan: Unknown Winter Island (open to anyone)

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plane of Terria :: Merchant District :: Marketplace-
Jump to: